KDE Plasma 5.25 Desktop Environment Released, The KDE Plasma 5.25 custom shell release is available, built using the KDE Frameworks 5 and the Qt 5 library using OpenGL/OpenGL ES for faster rendering. Evaluate the work the new version is possible through a Live build from the openSUSE project and a build from the KDE Neon User Edition project. Packages for various distributions can be found on this page.
What’s New in KDE Plasma 5.25 :
- In the configurator, the page for setting the general theme has been redesigned. You can selectively apply theme elements such as application and desktop style, fonts, colors, window framing, icons, and cursors, as well as separately apply a theme to the splash screen and lock screen interface.
- Added a separate animation effect that is applied when an incorrect password is entered.
- Added a dialog for managing groups of widgets (Containment) on the screen in edit mode, which allows you to visually manage the location of panels and applets in relation to different monitors.
- Added the ability to apply the highlight color of active elements (accent) in relation to the desktop wallpaper, as well as use an accent color for headings and change the tone of the entire color scheme. The Breeze Classic theme has integrated support for coloring headings with an accent color.
- A fading effect has been added to smoothly change between the old and new color schemes.
- A setting has been added to control whether the touch screen control mode is enabled (on systems with x11, you can only enable or disable the touch screen mode by default, and when using Wayland, you can additionally automatically switch the desktop to touch screen mode when a special event is received from the device, for example, when flipping the cover 360 degrees or detaching the keyboard). When you turn on the touch screen mode, the indents between the icons in the taskbar are automatically increased.
- Support for floating panels is provided for design themes.
- The position of icons in the Folder View mode is saved with reference to the screen resolution.
- In the list of recently opened documents in the context menu of the task manager, the display of items not related to files is allowed, for example, recent connections to remote desktops can be shown.
- The KWin window manager supports the use of shaders in scripts with the implementation of effects. KWin-scripts KCM translated to QML. A new blending effect has been added and shift effects have been improved. The page for setting up scripts for KWin has been redesigned.
- Keyboard navigation is enabled in panels and system tray.
- Improved support for onscreen gestures. Added the ability to use gestures anchored to the edges of the screen in scripted effects. To enter overview mode, you can press “W” (copied from ope nnet.ru) while holding the Meta (“Windows”) key, or use a four-finger pinch gesture on the touchpad or touch screen. To navigate between virtual desktops, you can use a three-finger swipe to move content sideways. You can use a four-finger swipe up or down gesture to view open windows and desktop content.
- In the Program Control Center (Discover), the display of permissions for applications in the Flatpak format is provided. The sidebar shows all subcategories from the selected application category.
- The page with information about the application has been completely redesigned.
- Added display of information about the selected desktop wallpaper (name, author) in the settings.
- On the system information page (Info Center), the general information in the “About This System” block has been expanded and a new “Firmware Security” page has been added, which, for example, shows whether UEFI Secure Boot is enabled.
- Continued improvement of the session based on the Wayland protocol.
Leave a Reply