LibreOffice 7.2.0 is released with several improvements and new features, as well as better compatibility with the Microsoft office suite, check it out.
LibreOffice is a free office suite of applications available for Windows, Unix, Solaris, Linux and Mac OS X. The suite uses the OpenDocument format — format approved as ISO/IEC 26300 and NBR ISO/IEC 26300 — and is also compatible with the Microsoft Office formats in addition to other legacy formats. Wikipedia
LibreOffice 7.2.0 release announcement was made on August 19, 2021.
“ Berlin, August 19, 2021 – LibreOffice 7.2 Community, the new major version of the free volunteer-supported office suite for desktop productivity, is available at https://www.libreoffice.org/download. Based on the platform LibreOffice technology for desktop, mobile and cloud personal productivity, it provides a large number of interoperability improvements with proprietary Microsoft file formats.In addition, LibreOffice 7.2 Community offers numerous performance improvements in handling large files by opening certain files DOCX and XLSX, managing the font cache and opening presentations and drawings that contain large images. There are also improvements in drawing speed when using the Skia backend that was introduced with LibreOffice 7.1. “
Microsoft Office Compatibility
Many users complain about the lack of compatibility with Microsoft’s suite, but they forget that MS Office is proprietary, you can’t just break the code, there are laws that don’t allow it, if you want greater compatibility and you love Microsot so much , convince them to open the code.
” The LibreOffice 7.2 adds a significant number of interoperability improvements to with legacy DOC and DOCX documents, XLSX and PPTX. The Microsoft files are still based on proprietary format discontinued by ISO in April 2008, and not in the approved by ISO, therefore, they incorporate a great deal of hidden artificial complexity. This causes handling issues with LibreOffice, which defaults to a true open standard format (the OpenDocument Format). “
News and improvements
This release has the following new features and improvements.
• Pop-up list for searching menu commands
• Scrollable style selector in NotebookBar
• Fontwork panel in sidebar
• New list view for templates dialog
• Integrated UNO object inspector in “X-ray”
• Background fills can span entire pages in addition to margins
• Page styles can now have a gutter margin
• Mail merge shows a warning about non-existent data sources
• RDF metadata in the Style inspector
• Shadows of metadata fields from
CALC custom colors
• Calc can now filter by color in AutoFilter
• HTML tables listed in External Data dialog now show captions
• “Fat cross” cursor available in options
• Type can be selected in “Moving Average” trend lines
IMPRESS & DRAW
• New templates: Candy, Freshes, Gray Elegant, Growing Liberty, Yellow Idea
• Multiple columns now available in text boxes
• Direct access to scale factor via status bar
LibreOffice 7.2.0 Installation on Linux
To install the new version it is advisable to wait to reach the repositories of your Linux distribution.
But you have the option to download it from the developer’s website and install it manually, for that visit the link below.