There was a release of a desktop-oriented operating system MidnightBSD 2.1 , based on FreeBSD 12 with elements ported from DragonFly BSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD. The basic desktop environment is built on top of GNUstep, but users have the option to install WindowMaker, GNOME, Xfce, or Lumina. A for downloading prepared 743 MB installation image ( x86 , amd64 ) has been .
Unlike other FreeBSD desktop builds, MidnightBSD was originally developed as a fork of FreeBSD 6.1-beta, which was synchronized with the FreeBSD 7 codebase in 2011 and later incorporated many of the features from FreeBSD 9, 10, and 11. For package management MidnightBSD uses the mport system, which uses a SQLite database to store indexes and metadata. Installing, removing and searching for packages is carried out using a single command mport .
- For the assembly, LLVM 10.0.1 is used.
- mport 2.1.4, APR-util 1.6.1, APR 1.7.0, Subversion 1.14.0, file 5.39, sendmail 8.16.1, sqlite3 3.35.5, tzdata 2021a, libarchive 3.5.0, unbound 1.13.0, xz 5.2.5, openmp.
- Added drivers for NetFPGA SUME 4x10Gb Ethernet, JMicron JMB582 / JMB585 AHCI, BCM54618SE PHY and Bitron Video AV2010 / 10 ZigBee USB Stick.
- Updated drivers: e1000 (Intel gigabit Ethernet), mlx5, nxge, usb, vxge.
- The ctau (Cronyx Tau) and cx (Cronyx Sigma) drivers are deprecated.
- Improvements have been made to the mport package manager. The process of updating dependencies during the installation or updating of packages has been streamlined. Provided correct encoding when extracting files from archives containing non-ASCII characters in file names. The sha256 hashes are used to check the integrity of plist elements.
- Provided the generation of the os-release file in / var / run.
- The burncd package has been removed from the distribution.