Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 Available to Download: discover all its news, There are many Linux distributions that we can use right now to be part of our PC. Among the wide variety that we can download and install, one of the most popular is Linux Mint .
Here we find a distro capable of meeting the needs of all types of users, both new and more advanced. We are telling you all this because the new version of the operating system has just been released, specifically we are referring to Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 , which is now available. It is worth mentioning that this is something that happens after several months of testing by its developers.
For those of you who don’t know, we will tell you that this system is based on Ubuntu by default. Considering that the last update of this software dates back to January of this year, the team released Linux Mint 20.3 in the same month. This release was accompanied by the Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce desktops , all based on the Linux 5.4 kernel. But as we have mentioned, in these lines we are going to focus on Linux Mint Debian Edition.
One of the goals of this distro is to ensure that it remains available if something happens to Ubuntu. Sure, that seems unlikely, though the team behind this proposal wants to be prepared for all eventualities. At the same time Linux Mint Debian Edition becomes an interesting alternative.
What’s more, its developers seek feature parity with Ubuntu-based versions of Linux Mint . It is for all these reasons that we are going to talk about the new features that you will find in Linux Mint Debian Edition 5, also known as LMDE.
Download Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 with its news
Say that LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint but without using Ubuntu, so the package base is provided by Debian . Before knowing all the news that we are going to find here, you can download this new distro directly from its official website.
At the same time we will tell you that a good part of the novelties that we are going to find here are very similar to the characteristics of Linux Mint 20.3. To begin with, we will tell you that the new version uses Debian GNU / Linux 11.2 as the base package. In turn, the whole set is based on the Linux 5.10 LTS kernel . Let’s see other new features of the new operating system:
Graphic novelties in the Mint-Y theme with new buttons to close, minimize and maximize window. The aesthetics are improved and the title bars are also bigger.
- Apps like Celluloid, or the photo viewer can now use dark mode by default .
- Significant improvements are included in the included desktops and their corresponding applications. We refer to the aforementioned Cinnamon, Xfce and MATE.
- We found the new Thingy application to display office documents.
- Available new wallpapers for the system.
- Added support for NVIDIA Optimus .
Problems detected in the new distribution
At the same time, the new version’s development program has made public some problems detected in the new version that will be corrected over time. Here we leave you some of the most important that you can find:
- Problems with Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 installer in expert mode.
- When installing the system on an existing VM partition, it must first be removed from the volumes and groups to which it belongs.
- When doing a manual partition the installer automatically mounts all swap partitions.
- The ISOs and the installer use a different structure than other distributions.
- The root account is locked by default.
- Sound and microphone issues .
- Errors in VLC with DVD player.
Leave a Reply