Ubuntu Linux 21.10 Impish Indri
This is an intermediate version, I do not recommend its use for beginners for two reasons.
- Trial version for the next LTS and therefore may contain considerable bugs.
- It has an extremely short lifespan.
But for enthusiasts who like to follow Ubuntu’s development, they can use the intermediate versions per virtual machine.
The release is scheduled for October 14, 2021, following the Ubuntu 21.10 development schedule
- 1 April 29 Toolchain Uploaded
- 10 July 01 Ubuntu Testing Week (optional)
- 17 August 19, Feature Freeze 63, Debian Import Freeze
- 18 August 26 Ubuntu Testing Week (optional)
- 20 September 09 User Interface Freeze 25
- 21 September 16 Documentation String Freeze 2, Kernel Feature Freeze 10
- 22 September 20 (Monday) Beta Freeze, Hardware Enablement Freeze 7
- ⠀ September 23 Beta (mandatory)
- 23 September 30 Kernel Freeze 19, Non Language Pack Translation Deadline 2
- October 2021
- 24 October 07 Final Freeze 8, Release Candidate 4, Language Pack Translation Deadline 3
- 25 October 14 Final Release 28
New Ubuntu 21.10 wallpaper
The first news was reported here and deals with the new Ubuntu 21.10 wallpaper.
Following the same pattern used in recent years, in purple and a stylized design of the version’s mascot.
And the theme is clear.
The biggest news came in July with the adoption of the Gnome 40.
Firefox by Snap
The announcement was made on September 16th by kenvandine
” The Desktop team opened a Resource Freeze exception to replace Firefox on ubuntu-desktop from a deb package to an official Mozilla Firefox snap. This is the result of cooperation and collaboration between the Desktop and Snap teams on developers from Canonical and Mozilla, and is the first step towards a deb-to-snap transition that will occur during the 22.04 development cycle. “
Adopting Firefox directly from Mozilla developers results in benefits for Canonical and Ubuntu users.
- Cross-platform support: snap will run on all distributions running snapd – now and in the future.
- Authenticity: You’re getting Firefox, unadulterated, straight from the source.
- Effortless Updates: Get security updates from Mozilla, quickly.
- Less time for maintenance, more time for features: Community developers can focus on innovation rather than worrying about Firefox.
In the tests I performed, I didn’t notice any difference in relation to the one packaged in .deb.
Download Ubuntu 21.10 Testing Build
For those who want to test can download the link below the development version.